Choose from two forms, complex or simplified, and get started on your adventure through Ho'ohiki! Be sure to check the guidebook, and feel free to throw any unanswered questions in the cbox above.
Here at PLEDGE, we have a fairly loose way of creating characters. There are a few simple guidelines, in addition to the rules laid out in the guidebook, as well as some free extra goodies for every starting character! First and foremost, we want you, the writer, to have fun - so let's get to it, shall we?
- Before delving into the world of PLEDGE, be sure to read through the first two pages of our handy guidebook: The Rulebook and a rundown of our Setting! These will give you all the basic information you need to get into our forums, while the rest of the guidebook can be a useful resource for any other questions you might need answered - or information you might find useful, such as Battling, Breeding and more!
- As soon you have a name, feel free to sign up with your character and attach them as a sub-account to your OOC account. If you don't create your character's account before we approve your character's application, then you'll have to wait for us to sort your character so they can post! We try to send items to the character account, but if you don't have your character's account up and subbed, we put them on your OOC account to save time, after which you can transfer them to your character's account yourself.
- There is no word count or necessary sentence structure; you may use listed traits, full sentences, or anything in between - in fact, you can even edit the forms provided, or use your own! All we ask is that you try to flesh out your character enough for us to get a good grip on who they are, such as their motivations, personality, etc.
- Using your OOC account, post your chosen form in a new thread, with your character's name as the topic title and their class, age, and hometown as the topic description. For example:
rancher. 10. agri town.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click to reveal!
- Can I play as a Pokémon, not a human?
- We do not allow Pokémon characters at this time, outside of those who are companions of human characters. The Wild Pokémon account, maintained by staff, can play wild or unattached Pokémon, as can NPC accounts - however, outside of these staff roles, non-staff members may play Pokémon in the Roleplay Etcetera board, if they wish to. This must be in the main boards, where no currency is earned.
- How can I earn currency?
- PLEDGE's currency is Pokédollars, symbolized as ₽. Every in-character post over 50 words will earn you 5₽, while completed non-Journey threads can be cashed in for prizes, ranging from Lucky Chests, which reveal a randomized amount of ₽, to items which can be sold and liquidated. Poachers - and any other class - may sell caught Pokémon on their local black market, although they do run the risk of attracting police attention. The Job Bulletin also offer monetary prizes for characters of any experience level! You can also do advertisements for PLEDGE to earn items and ₽ every month, along with achievement! We almost always have a contest or two up and running, which may offer monetary prizes, as well.
- What does my character start with?
- It depends on your character's Trainer Class, their Hometown, and which Set - A or B - they choose to start with! For example, say you have a Ranger from Agri, who chooses Set A. They would start with a stage-one Pokémon of their choice (excluding those on the Rare list) at level 5 and 5% Link, three friend balls, and a lucky egg.
- Does my character have to start in Okeanos Town or their Hometown?
- Absolutely not! Your character can start their journey absolutely anywhere. Those characters who start with a starter Pokémon will not obtain it until they complete a Journey thread in Okeanos' Pokémon Lab, located in the Lighthouse, however, so keep this in mind. Non-Journey threads can be anywhere, anytime, but Journey threads must be consecutive - if you start your first Journey thread in Odonton, you'll have to travel location by location, route by route, all the way to Okeanos!
- How do I obtain items (pokéballs, traps, etc.)?
- Items can be obtained both out of character in the General Store, and in character in the Marketplaces located in each city and town in Ho'ohiki, like this one. Each location has unique items available, as well as their own black market district. Items can also be obtained through claiming finished non-Journey threads, and through Hunting for them in Journey threads! To do the latter, simply state your character is searching for an item, and have them attempt to find it within the thread.
- Can I get a Hometown item I didn't start with?
- Yes, you can! Through the Hunting method of Journey threads mentioned above, you can Hunt for any Hometown item outside of pokédexes. For example, if you would like a Soothe Bell, simply create a Journey thread in Campana Town and Hunt for one!
- Do I have to Link with Pokémon?
- No, you don't! We have some characters already who are, for their own reasons, either unwilling or unable to Link with their companion Pokémon. While it is not necessary, and can open the door to some interesting character interactions, note that Linking is a major game-play mechanic on PLEDGE, and is the only way your character will be able to understand their Pokémon's speech. Other users and NPCs will still have Links with their Pokémon, as well, and you would be missing out on the many benefits and services Linking provides.
- Can my character be a former/current member of Team Rocket/Plasma/etc.?
- Sorry to say, but no! Please don't include canon NPCs from the games or their affiliated Teams in your character's history. PLEDGE is set before Generation 1, and as such none of the Teams have actually formed yet - and for simplicity purposes, none of the canon characters exist. This is to allow you, the user, to use them as face claims!
- Can I capture Legendary Pokémon or Ultra Beasts?
- Short answer: no. Long answer: no, but you can encounter them! There is an exceedingly rare item on PLEDGE called a Fateful Encounter, which can be gained through site-wide contests and events. Using this item will allow your character to meet a Legendary or Ultra Beast of their choice!
- How do Pokémon that evolve through trading in the games evolve on PLEDGE?
- All Pokémon that originally evolved through trading have been given unique evolution pathways on PLEDGE, all of which can be found here for reference.
- Does PLEDGE include Generation 7 Pokémon?
- Yes, we do! Generation 7 Pokémon (that are not on our Rare List) can be started with by new characters, and all non-Legendary and non-Ultra Beast Pokémon may be found through Journey threads, event prizes or randomized Eggs.
Click to reveal!
- There are 8 total classes here on Pledge. Each has a special class bonus that will help your character through the dangers of the Ho'ohiki region, but they also come with one of two starting sets. While these classes are outlined in the Adventure Guidebook, you can click on them below for a summary!
Trainers are your average, run of the mill trainers that roam the country side with the goal of "catching 'em all!" While many places look down on the catching of Pokémon over linking, they definitely like the tourism that comes with those seeking to challenge their gyms. Although the iconic imagery of the Trainer class is generally a young child, anyone, from anywhere, can become a Trainer.
TRAINERS have a +10% higher catch rate.
- SET A: Get a starter Pokémon, and a set of Apricorn Balls.
- SET B: Start with a Pokémon and one Pokeball.
Breeders are people who seek to breed their Pokémon for a variety of reasons. Some just want to get the best Pokémon, while others seek fame, and many others simply enjoy raising Pokémon of all ages.
BREEDERS have a +10% chance at successfully producing eggs.
- SET A: Start with one Pokémon with a single egg move of your choice.
- SET B: Start with one random egg from an egg group of your choice and get a starter Pokémon.
Rangers are those who seek to protect Pokémon from illegal capture. Those who prove themselves as dedicated to the cause are well received among the local populace, especially if they go out of their way to link with their partners. There are currently four Ranger branches (in Procella Prairie, Uberrime City, Odonton City and Stipes City) and plenty of Lone Rangers, acting more like bounty hunters than police officers. More info here!
RANGERS receive a 10% discount at local markets.
- SET A: Start with one Pokémon, and three friend balls.
- SET B: Start with a choice of two out of three random Pokémon and a friend ball.
Poachers are the scourge of Rangers. They catch Pokémon through illegal means and then sell them to get a profit, and the worst of the bunch have been known to steal other trainer's Pokémon. Not all Poachers do it out of an innate unkindness, however... or, necessarily, by choice.
POACHERS receive a 10% discount on the Black Market.
- SET A: Start with one Pokémon, and one average quality trap.
- SET B: Start with two average quality traps and one high quality trap.
Researchers seek to learn more about the Pokémon around them. The most common among them go into the field to discover new types of Pokémon, though many more study Pokémon through other means. Researchers can study a wide array of fields, from evolutionary biology to attempting to revive fossil Pokémon.
RESEARCHERS intuitively know the stats of Pokémon they encounter.
- SET A: Start with one Pokémon with a user chosen or staff randomized unique trait (drawn by a member of PLEDGE staff) and a unique non-Legendary move of choice.
- SET B: Start with a TM and get a starter Pokémon.
Ranchers raise domesticated Pokémon, often living in harmony with large numbers of them. They often aren't in it for the glory of battle, but instead provide the region with useful goods and services with their Pokémon. Ranchers are known for being the best at breeding domesticated Pokémon so that they keep their domestic quality, but this skill applies to other breedable mutations and adaptions as well.
RANCHERS have a +10% chance at successfully breeding unique qualities.
Traditionalists are the original Pokémon tamers of the local area. They do not often use Pokeballs except when needed, and instead form close bonds with their Pokémon. Stipes City in particular is full of Traditionalists, given their comfort in ancient ways and their hostility towards modern technology.
TRADITIONALISTS have a +10% chance at successfully linking with an encountered wild Pokémon.
- SET A: Start with one Pokémon at 15% Link.
- SET B: Start with one domesticated Pokémon at 25% Link.
Specialists are trainers who have a favorite type and tend to stick to it quite closely. While they may have other types, they bond quickly with the type that they prefer and seem to be in sync with these Pokémon.
SPECIALISTS have a special ability that gives them +10% link with Pokémon of their preferred type, but if they ever link with a Pokémon outside of their type they lose this bonus.
- SET A: Start with one Pokémon at 20% Link.
- SET B: Start with a choice of two out of three random Pokémon of your Link type.
- Your character does not need to be caged by their choice of class; you can have a Breeder who's a guitarist, a Researcher searching for Giratina, or a Rancher looking for some peace and quiet. Most importantly, no class is innately "good" or "bad." Rangers can be corrupt, Poachers can be desperate, and even a Rancher could secretly be planning diabolical schemes. The only limit is your imagination!
- Most sets allow your character to start with a Pokémon of your choice. This Pokémon will be Level 5 and must be a Basic Pokémon that isn't on the Rare List. A mod will give you the moveset for the Pokémon; all Pokémon start out with one attacking move, even if the wouldn't usually. Alternative, some sets will give you a choice of two Pokémon out of three randomly generated Pokémon. A mod will post your selection once you've finished your app!
- Any set that has "get a starter Pokémon" means you'll have to go to the Lab in character to get your first Pokémon. These generally are better than your average Pokémon, getting two attacking moves, and you'll always get a selection out of 6 Pokémon!
- Lastly, for any set that gives you an item such as a TM or a trap, please include in your application what kind of item you want! The same goes for egg moves for breeders, and so on. For example, if your character gets a TM, indicate whether you'd like it to be Flamethrower, Volt Charge, or any other move under the sun!
Click to reveal!
- Is your character native to Ho'ohiki? If so, what town or city were they raised in - or, if it suits them better, where do they currently live? If not, what region are they originally from? A character's Hometown doesn't have to be where they were born, or where they start on PLEDGE, but it should be the most important place to them, be it through years or memorial importance. For example, a character could be born in Kalos, but could have spent their most formative time in Campana Town.
- Every character gets a special item depending on their Hometown:
- Okeanos Town: Begin play with a shell bell.
"Whenever the Pokémon holding it deals damage,
it heals a fraction of the damage the Pokémon inflicted."
A young tourist town with no real culture of its own.
Hosts Ho'ohiki's own Pokémon Professor.
- Piscari Town: Begin play with an old rod.
"Increases your trainer's chances of encountering Pokemon in fishable areas."
An ancient, decrepit fishing village with Hawai'ian and Japanese natives.
Poachers are especially comfortable here.
- Hudor Reef: Begin play with a king's rock.
"When held by a Pokemon, it has a 10% chance to cause foes to flinch upon attack."
A community living on floating raft-homes, with Hawai'ian and Japanese natives.
- Procella Prairie: Begin play with a quick claw.
"Provides a +10% bonus to dodge attempts for one Pokemon when held."
A cultural melting pot of nomadic travelers.
Hosts the Procella branch of the Rangers.
- Campana Town: Begin play with a soothe bell.
"Doubles Link % earned for one Pokemon when held."
A mining town with white Irish natives.
Breeders are especially comfortable here.
- Caecus Town: Begin play with a choice item.
"Boosts Attack/Speed/Special Attack by 50%,
but only allows the use of the first move selected."
A technology and fashion-heavy town, full of French natives.
Contest-goers are especially comfortable here.
- Agri Town: Begin play with a lucky egg.
"Doubles the levels earned for one Pokemon when held."
A cattle and farming town with black African natives.
Ranchers are especially comfortable here.
- Odonton City: Begin play with a focus item.
"Allows a Pokemon to survive one attack longer than usual when held."
"Allows a Pokemon to survive a OHKO when held."
A mountain oasis. Culturally similar to Sherpas, with Nepali natives.
Hosts the Odonton branch of the Rangers.
- Uberrime City: Begin with a TM of your choice.
The biggest settlement in Ho'ohiki. A cultural melting pot.
Hosts the Uberrime branch of the Rangers.
- Stipes City: Begin play with a cleanse tag.
"Keeps lower level Pokemon away when held by one Pokemon."
A deeply religious city. Culturally similar to Buddhist monks, with Thai natives.
Traditionalists are especially comfortable here.
Hosts the Wardens-- Stipes alternative to Rangers.
- Faraway Traveler: Begin play with a pokédex from your region.
"When attempting to find a Pokémon from the ___ Region, this trainer has a 50% higher chance of succeeding if in the right area."
POSTING YOUR APPLICATION
- As guidelines, we have provided two optional forms you may use, for your convenience. You may make changes to the coded option as you see fit (as long as you feel comfortable you can do so without any site-breaking errors), or use a form entirely of your own design. However, you must include the following information regardless of what form you use: your character's name, their chosen Trainer Class, their age, their pronouns and/or gender, their chosen Hometown, your OOC account name, your character's appearance, their personality, their history, and their chosen starting items.
- Once you've completed your application, post a link in our front-page tagbox! Staff will get to it as quickly as they can. As soon as your application is accepted and your character is sorted into their chosen Class, you may post with them in non-journey threads, so feel free to start plotting with other members and developing your character! Once your application is replied to, sorted into the Accepted Characters subforum, and you are given your starting Pokémon and items, you may start your first Journey thread.
- If, for some reason, staff cannot fully approve your character in a timely fashion, we will temporarily sort your character so you may start roleplaying in non-Journey threads, and post a note in your application to let you know! We'd hate to make you wait, as journey threads are the only thing that we have to limit - both you and the moderator(s) involved need to know what Pokémon you have.
- Please don't worry if you forget to add something, later want to edit a bit of your character's history or appearance, or other changes - you may edit your application at any time, for any reason. If you feel something is a drastic change, feel free to ask staff to look it over for official approval! If you happen to forget to add something in your original application, such as your character's Class or their starting items, don't worry; a staff member will notify you with what you're missing. As soon as the issue is ironed out and staff has been notified, the acceptance process will continue per usual.
- As of 6/20/16, if you use a face claim, be it a real person, an anime character, or a piece of art, you must provide credit in your application with a link to the source and/or the name of the person or character whose face you're using - and if they're from a series, please indicate that as well. For example:
© Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Most importantly, every type of character is welcome on PLEDGE. Please don't hesitate to play a silly concept, a serious one, a character of any sexuality, gender, or race; we're here to make this a fun, welcoming, safe place for all of our users!